General Ophthalmic services workforce statistics 31 December 2018 [NS]
This is part of General Ophthalmic services workforce statisticsNational statistics
- Publication date:
- 7 Mar 2019
- Geographic coverage:
- England, Wales
- Geographical granularity:
- Regional health body, Regions, NHS Health Boards
- Date range:
- 31 Dec 2008 to 31 Dec 2018
This report shows the number of ophthalmic practitioners (Optometrists and Ophthalmic Medical Practitioners) who were authorised, by NHS England regions in England and Local Health Boards (LHB) in Wales, to carry out NHS funded sight tests as at 31 December each year.
We welcome feedback on the methodology and tables within this publication. Please email us with your comments and suggestions, clearly stating General Ophthalmic Workforce as the subject heading, via email@example.com or 0300 303 5678
• In England there were 13,686 ophthalmic practitioners, 45.1 per cent (6,176) were male and 54.9 per cent (7,510) were female. The 2008 breakdown was 51.2 per cent male and 48.8 per cent female practitioners.
• In Wales there were 875 ophthalmic practitioners, 45.8 per cent (401) were male and 54.2 per cent (474) were female. The 2008 breakdown was 54.5 per cent male and 45.5 per cent female practitioners.