Estates Returns Information Collection, England, 2017-18
This is part of Estates Returns Information CollectionOfficial statistics
- Publication Date:
- 16 Oct 2018
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- NHS Trusts, Hospital Trusts, Ambulance Trusts, Care Trusts, Hospital and Community Health Services, Mental Health Trusts, Regions
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2017 to 31 Mar 2018
These are the results from the 2017/18 Estates Return Information Collection (ERIC), a mandatory collection for all NHS trusts including Ambulance trusts. It comprises information relating to the costs of providing and maintaining the NHS Estate including buildings, maintaining and equipping hospitals, the provision of services e.g. laundry and food, and the costs and consumption of utilities.
An extended data quality assurance exercise was conducted in conjunction with NHS Improvement as part of our analysis of the 2017/18 data. Both organisations worked closely with trusts to clarify requirements and support accurate reporting. A compiled list of trust provided comments and responses is included in this release (please see the 'Trust provided validation comments' workbook).
Users should note that many data fields are currently labelled as unreliable due to having changed definitions since the previous reporting period, or due to being new in 2017/18. Please see the introduction and data quality worksheets in the report for more information.
NHS Digital has continued to work alongside stakeholders and data providers to improve data quality for the 2017/18 collection, particularly in the area of data definition refinement. Regular clarifications were issued to all data providers in response to queries raised during the course of the collection. Such clarifications are likely to have more of an impact at local level and are likely to be reflected in the data reports. At national level, information is considered to be broadly comparable across the same type of data providers although statistics should still be treated with caution, especially where labelled as unreliable.
For the period 1st April 2017 to 31st March 2018, NHS organisations reported:
◦ The total costs of running the NHS estate were £8.8 billion.
◦ The total energy usage from all energy sources across the NHS estate amounted to 11.5 billion kWh.
◦ The total cost to eradicate backlog was £6.0 billion. This is also known as 'backlog maintenance' and is measure of how much would need to be invested to restore a building to a certain state based on a state of assessed risk criteria. It does not include planned maintenance work (rather, it is work that should already have taken place).
◦ The total cost for cleaning services was £1.0 billion.
◦ The total cost of providing inpatient food was £0.6 billion.
Please note: Following publication we were advised by South London and Maudsley Trust (RV5) of a reporting error in the data they submitted on the weight of unserved meals. The total weight for starters, mains and desserts from their aggregate site should have been zero, rather than 68,693kg. Taking this into account, the England totals for unserved meals (Table 19 of the data report) are estimated to be 15,802 for starters, 91,669 for mains and 29,728 for desserts (rather than 31,708, 178,718 and 62,841 respectively). Please see the data quality report, which has been revised to include further information (see 'Known Issues' section). We apologise for any inconvenience caused.
Further issues of a minor nature are updated in the data quality statement to include details - please ensure you are using the latest version. Currently this is version 6, published on 27 November 2018.