Estates Returns Information Collection Summary page and dataset for ERIC 2018/19Official statistics, Other reports and statistics
- Publication Date:
- 17 Oct 2019
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Primary Care Organisations, Care Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Community health services, Hospital Trusts, NHS Trusts, Regions, Councils with Adult Social Services Responsibilities (CASSRs), GP practices, Hospital and Community Health Services, Independent Sector Health Care Providers, Primary Care Trusts, Mental Health Trusts, Clinical Commissioning Regions, Local Authorities, Country
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2018 to 31 Mar 2019
These are the results from the 2018/19 Estates Return Information Collection (ERIC), a mandatory collection for all NHS trusts including Ambulance trusts. It comprises information relating to the costs of providing and maintaining the NHS Estate including buildings, maintaining and equipping hospitals, the provision of services e.g. laundry and food, and the costs and consumption of utilities.
As part of our analysis of the 2018/19 data, an enhanced data quality assurance exercise was conducted in conjunction with NHS England/Improvement (the collection sponsors). Both organisations worked closely with trusts to clarify requirements and support accurate reporting. A compiled list of trust provided comments and responses is included in this release .
Data users should note that several data fields are currently labelled as unreliable due to having changed definition since the previous reporting period, or due to being introduced relatively recently. Please see the introduction and data quality worksheets for more information.
NHS Digital has continued to work alongside stakeholders and data providers to improve data quality for the 2018/19 collection. This included an extensive data assurance exercise, and further data definition refinement. At national level, information is considered to be broadly comparable across the same type of data providers although statistics should still be treated with caution, especially where labelled as experimental.
Please ensure you use these statistics with reference to the Data Quality Statement. This will be updated should any errors be reported after publication. The current version is number 6, published on the 20th April 2020.
New versions of the data report and csv files were issued subsequent to publication, to include new Commissioning Regions in use. The latest versions are version 4, issued on 22 November 2019 to take account of two Trust Type changes (from Acute-Large to Acute-Teaching; RJE and RP5).
Please note that income is no longer netted off so costs should not be compared with figures from previous reporting periods.
For the period 1st April 2018 to 31st March 2019, NHS organisations reported:
◦ The total costs of running the NHS estate were £9.5 billion.
◦ The total energy usage from all energy sources across the NHS estate amounted to 11.2 billion kWh.
◦ The total cost to eradicate backlog was £6.5 billion. This is also known as 'backlog maintenance' and is measure of how much would need to be invested to restore a building to a certain state based on a state of assessed risk criteria. It does not include planned maintenance work (rather, it is work that should already have taken place).
◦ The total cost for cleaning services was £1.1 billion.
◦ The total cost of providing inpatient food was £0.6 billion.