The HIV and AIDS Reporting System (HARS) is a data set that underpins national HIV surveillance. It is used to:
- inform the public health response and policy formulation for HIV in England
- identify the groups at risk of HIV infection in England
- monitor the short and long term clinical outcomes of people living with HIV infection
- monitor the effectiveness of national policies and guidance
- adapt and refine interventions, as appropriate.
This information standard is published under section 250 of the Health and Social Care Act 2012. An Information Standards Notice (see below) provides an overview of scope and implementation timescales and the other listed documents provide further detail for those who have to implement the information standard.