We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Information standards and data collections (including extractions)
New national governance arrangements for information standards, data collections and data extractions came into effect on 1 April 2017.
On this date the Data Coordination Board (DCB) took over responsibility for the approval of standards from the Standardisation Committee for Care Information (SCCI). DCB is a sub-group of the Digital Delivery Board (DDB).
- Introduction of continuous assurance of standards coordinated by a dedicated team within NHS Digital
- Introduction of a new process for submitting new ideas and proposals for change.
What stayed the same:
- Standards continue to be appraised by subject matter experts
- Information standards continue to be published under section 250 of the Health and Social Care Act 2012
- Information Standards Notices continue to be published on these web pages
- Existing standards documents remain on these web pages
- ISB and SCCI approved standards remain in force
- Notifications about standards publication and consultation activity continue to be distributed to the subscribers of our mailing list
Please see the appropriate area below for more information about standards activity.
Assurance of standards and collections
The Data Coordination Board is committed to ensuring the quality of standards, to ensure effective implementation, full realisation of benefits and minimal disruption for staff, patients and care users. Assurance Certificates are issued to confirm that a standard has been through assessment and is demonstrated to meet the DCB quality assurance criteria. Assurance is undertaken in line with an agreed methodology.
Current standards and collections
Developing standards and collections
The DCB welcomes all suggestions for new, or changes to existing, standards; contact us at email@example.com to find out more.
Work in progress
You can see a list of standards and collections currently undergoing assurance on our DCB activity page.
The DCB is committed to ensuring a greater degree of public participation in standards assurance. You can keep up to date with opportunities for involvement by joining our mailing list.
If you have any questions about the assurance of standards and collections please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.