How do I know my information has been submitted
Staff records that are marked as 'in progress' are not visible to NHS Digital; If a record is marked ‘in progress’ please update the record as necessary and then select the 'Submit' button, located on your 'check your answers before sending' page.
The record should now show a status of 'Submitted' and will be included when we extract your data.
How to mark staff as leavers
If a member of staff has left your organisation, you can record this by viewing their record, going to the ‘Contract’ section and then changing the response to “Are they still working here?” to “No”. You’ll then be asked a couple of questions on the reason for leaving and destination; after answering these you should save the record, check your responses and then click 'Submit'.
How to delete a record
Once a record has been deleted from NWRS, this cannot be reversed. Records should not be deleted unless you have one for somebody who has never worked at your organisation, you accidentally added a record for someone working at another organisation, or you have an exact duplicate of this record in your staff table.
How to transfer staff from practice to practice
To move a record from your practice to another, click ‘View’ on the record you would like to transfer and then ‘Transfer’. Search for the ‘Destination Organisation’ the person is moving to, then click ‘Transfer’ to confirm the transfer. Wait for the 'Transfer Complete' screen to appear and then click ‘Back to Home’.
You can use the ODS Portal to search for the official ODS code and organisation name.
How to complete Locum Hours fields
Locum hours fields remain open on the system for a rolling 3-month period (the current month, plus two historical months). You can therefore update this information as soon as it becomes available or revise it retrospectively.
How to record PCN staff
All staff the PCN receives funding for should be recorded in NWRS, even if the individual’s employer is not the PCN. This includes the Clinical Director and any staff funded through the Additional Roles Reimbursement Scheme (ARRS).
We recognise that previous advice may have suggested that, where a PCN has a member of staff splitting hours across practices, their hours should be apportioned to the practices rather than the PCN, however, following feedback from PCNs and Practices regarding the difficulties around recording PCN staff, stakeholder organisations have jointly agreed to simplify the requirements; so that, any staff undertaking PCN roles should now be recorded against the PCN.
How to record PCN Contracted Services
PCN Contracted Services information in NWRS should be reviewed regularly and kept up to date. This part of NWRS should only be used for recording services when it is not known which individual will be filling the role at any given time, i.e., the PCN commissions the services, and another organisation provides it and ensures that the role is staffed at agreed times.
How to record PCN Contracted Services Average Weekly Hours
These fields should reflect the latest picture. As these records cannot be deleted from NWRS, you should enter zero in the average weekly hours field if your organisation is no longer using a service you have a record for.
Moving records from GP practices to PCNs
The NWRS system does not have functionality for practice to PCN staff record transfers so records must be recreated under the PCN before deleting from the GP practice(s). When you delete the record, select 'Duplicate record' as the reason for deletion. We acknowledge that this may be time-consuming, and we very much appreciate your efforts, which will significantly improve PCN data quality in NWRS.
What to do if your practice or PCN is closing
1. Clear the staff table for the organisation that is closing by using one of these 3 actions for each staff record:
- for people that will be moving to another practice or PCN - transfer the staff records using the transfer feature. Please be aware that the transfer is instant.
- for anyone who isn’t going to another practice or PCN - process them as a leaver by finding the ‘Are they still working here?’ question and change your answer from ‘Yes’ to ‘No’. Then provide answers to the three questions; when they left, their reason for leaving and what they did next.
- to clear any duplicate records or records previously entered in error use the delete feature
2. Do not do anything with the Locums or PCN contracted services records, unfortunately these can’t yet be transferred or deleted
3. Once the staff table has been cleared, contact NHS Digital enquiries and ask them to remove access for any registered users for the practice or PCN that is closing.
What to do if your practice or PCN is merging with another
1. Will you or your colleagues need access to the new practice or PCN’s staff records in the NWRS? If yes, contact NHS Digital enquiries and ask them to give you access. You will need to send an email which includes the following information for each person
- first name and last name
- email address (a personal NHS or healthcare service email address and not a generic mailbox or Hotmail, or gmail email)
- ODS codes for the organisations you need access to (GP and/or PCN)
- confirmation that either your practice manager or a practice partner approves the request. This can simply be an email confirmation in an attachment
2. Clear the staff table of the practice or PCN that will no longer exist by using one of these 3 actions for each staff record
for people that will be moving to the new, or a different practice or PCN - transfer the staff records using the transfer feature. Please be aware that the transfer is instant.
for anyone who isn’t going to another practice or PCN - process them as a leaver by finding the ‘Are they still working here?’ question and change your answer from ‘Yes’ to ‘No’. Then provide answers to the three questions; when they left, their reason for leaving and what they did next.
to clear any duplicate records or records previously entered in error use the delete feature
3. Do not do anything with the Locums or PCN Contracted Services records, unfortunately these can’t yet be transferred or deleted.
4. Once the staff table has been cleared, contact NHS Digital enquiries and ask them to remove access for any registered users for the practice or PCN that no longer exists.