National Interim Clinical Imaging Procedure (NICIP) Code Set
The NICIP code set enables accurate ordering of medical procedures and direct commissioning of services. The NICIP terminology provides a common, consistent and unambiguous representation of imaging procedures, for consistent recording and sharing of information.
The work has been overseen and endorsed by the Clinical Imaging Management Group (CIMG). It has representation from the following stakeholders:
- Department of Health
- British Medical Association
- British Nuclear Medicine Society
- NHS Digital
- NHS England
- Regional NHS representatives
- Representatives of trusts in England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland
- Royal College of General Practitioners
- Royal College of Radiologists (including a number of special interest groups)
- Society of Radiographers
- System suppliers
The NICIP code set and associated documentation are available for download via TRUD (a website which allows NHS Digital to license and distribute reference data).
Clinicians and system managers working with the Picture Archiving Communication Systems and Radiology Information Systems can make requests for additions to the NICIP code set via the request submission portal.
All requests will be reviewed by terminologists at NHS Digital against existing NICIP content and the under-pinning editorial principles [853.77KB] .
Read the covering letter from the guidance below before submitting any requests. It summarises the main changes since the previous version.
- NICIP covering letter [94.75KB] (PDF, 94.8kB)
- NICIP implementation guidance [404.29KB] (PDF, 404.3kB),
- NICIP editorial principles [853.77KB] (PDF, 853.8kB)
- NICIP guidance for known queries (archive link)
- NICIP-OPCS-4 mapping table guidance [308.26KB] (PDF, 308.3kB)
The results of the consultation on the use of the mapping table from NICIP codes to OPCS-4 were first published in January 2015 and updated in October 2016.