Registers of approved data releases
The Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC) is responsible for providing a trusted safe haven for storing and analysing the nation's health and care information. We also deliver the systems that enable data to be used to support an individual's care and better, more effective health and social care services for all our communities. Find out more about who we are and what we do.
There are very strict rules about what information the HSCIC can share with the NHS and other organisations, and we are committed to ensuring that the public understands what happens to the information that we collect.
As part of this commitment we publish quarterly registers of the instances where the HSCIC has provided data under a Data Sharing Agreement.
The most recent register covers releases from January to March 2016 [395kb]. The registers list each organisation, the type of data released, the legal basis for release and the purpose for which the data was provided.
You can learn more about the register content, presentation and background by reading our guide to tabs, column descriptions, key terms and abbreviations [270kb] and frequently asked questions [37kb].
Information on type 2 opt-outs
From 29 April 2016, HSCIC began to remove certain patient records from data releases where a patient has requested an opt-out.
As part of the data application process confirmation will be provided as to whether the data provided will have opt-outs removed. The consideration of whether opt-outs are removed is based on understanding the data being requested and the legal basis under which that data is released.
Further information regarding opt-outs, when it does not apply and how to understand what that might mean for data is available here.
To view applications prior to July 2014, please see the DAAG register of approved applications [36kb]. DAAG are responsible for reviewing and making recommendations to the Senior Information Risk Owner (SIRO) on data applications into the HSCIC. Please note that prior to February 2014 DAAG were able to approve applications for data received by the HSCIC.
Where data that we release is not fully anonymised and there is a legal basis to share it outside the HSCIC, there must be a clear Data Sharing Framework Contract and a Data Sharing Agreement in place with the organisation receiving the data. This details what they can and cannot do with that information, the security standards they must adhere to and how they must eventually destroy the data. Find out more about the how we look after information.
To provide feedback that can be considered in producing future iterations of the register, please contact the HSCIC contact centre by email.
- Data Release Register January - March 2016 [395kb]
- Data Release Register October - December 2015 [362kb]
- Data Release Register: November 2015 [295kb]
- Data Release Register: June 2015 [158kb]
- Data Release Register: January to May 2015 [224kb]
- Data Release Register: October to December 2014 [156kb]
- Register of approved data releases: July-Sept 2014 [89kb]
- Register of approved data releases: Apr-June 2014 [98kb]
- Register of approved data releases: Jan-Mar 2014 [132kb]
- Register of approved data releases: Apr-Dec 2013 [981kb]
- Guide to tabs, column descriptions, key terms and abbreviations [270kb]
- Frequently asked questions [37kb]
- Who we are and what we do
- Why information is needed
- Rules for sharing health and care information
- Data Access Request Service (DARS)
- Confidentiality Advisory Group (CAG)
- Data Access Advisory Group (DAAG)