Transfer of Care Initiative
To support the delivery of high quality care, there's an increasing need to share information more efficiently and consistently across health and social care.
Transfer of Care Initiative resource library
A resource library of downloadable implementation guidance and supporting materials.
Implementing eDischarge summary headings in England
As part of the NHS England Standard Contract, organisations need to use consistent clinical content headings when sharing discharge summaries.
Implementing Emergency Care discharge summaries in England
As part of the NHS England Standard Contract, providers must have aligned their Emergency Care discharges with the nationally published specification.
The Transfer of Care Initiative aims to improve patient care by promoting and encouraging the use of professional and technical document standards.
Professional record standards for electronic record keeping are a fundamental element of successful IT enabled care and interoperability.
In order to record, share and access health data consistently across care settings, the structure and content of electronic health records needs to be standardised. The Professional Record Standards Body (PRSB) produce standards for the way care records should be structured.
We are currently developing and implementing
The Academy of Medical Royal College (AoMRC) Professional Standards, as part of the Transfer of Care initiative.
The AoMRC Standards were adopted by the PRSB and are supported by The National Information Board framework for action (November 2014) which states:
'We propose the adoption of the Academy of Royal Medical Colleges' publication Standards for the clinical structure and content of patient records, with a requirement that all organisations and clinical systems should implement the standards'.
Benefits of standards
Using standards in electronic healthcare records allows clinical information to be recorded, exchanged and accessed consistently to deliver high quality care to patients. Other benefits include:
- improved patient care and safety due to the availability of complete, accurate and timely information
- reduction in the risk of missing or inappropriate critical clinical information
- reduction in costs by removing the administrative task of correcting information
Video - why the Transfer of Care Initiative matters
Latest news and updates
- Quick guide to implementing eDischarge summary headings. Download a quick guide for managers [306.06KB] leading the implementation of AoMRC headings in eDischarge summaries.
- New self-assessment tool for AoMRC headings. To help your organisation check itself against the mandatory AoMRC headings in eDischarge summaries, download our self-assessment compliance tool [81.5KB] .