Additional benefits are continuing to be realised as both staff and the patients are becoming more aware of the functionality of WiFi, however there have already been many benefits.
Benefits for practice staff include:
- satisfaction of clinicians and practice staff in the reliability of WiFi, resulting in increased usage
- increased awareness of cybersecurity within the practice, resulting from protocols implemented during the roll out
- a reduction in requirement for access to clinicians at the practice
- the ability of clinicians to be able to access medical records throughout the practice, rather than just in consulting rooms, giving both significant savings in time and reduction in delays in treating patients
"It's great to be able to sync our mobile devices to load patient records before going out on home visits. This allows us to have secure access to vastly more clinical information when assessing patients in their own homes." - Dr John Hampson, GP.
"The practice staff have found having the WiFi to enable laptops and tablets to be used for meetings has made a really positive impact and has changed our approach to the structure of practice meetings." -Jo Panter, Practice Manager.
"The implementation of WiFi across Bury has enabled to staff to work in an agile fashion, reducing the time spent travelling across the borough. It also allows CCG staff to work more closely with our colleagues in primary care, building relationships to help us to improve care for patients." - Amy Lepiorz, Deputy Director of Primary Care.
Benefits for patients include:
- a greater awareness of services provided by the practice and the NHS to patients
- access to clinical information to enhance their consultation
- the ability to book further appointments instantly whilst within the practice
"We have noticed an increase in the number of hits the practice has had on our website and our Facebook page from patients reviewing our service while they wait to see the doctor. As a result, we will be enhancing our use of online services to communicate with our patients." - Joanne Panter, Practice Manager
"It's great being able to access free WiFi whilst waiting for my GP practice appointment. I'm already signed up to online services, but for someone who wanted to look into this service, which enables you to book appointments and order repeat prescriptions at a time convenient to you, they could see how it all works whilst waiting to be seen with the help of the Practice's Digital Champion. If I see a leaflet in the practice, or an advert on the information screen that sign posts me to a health app, I can download it there and then before I forget. I can look up health information and keep in contact with family more easily too. It's a really positive move that improves my overall experience, and I'm glad Bury is one of the first to benefit." - Patient of NHS Bury CCG