We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
The Spine Message Implementation Manual (MiM) is the formal specification of the HL7 V3 messaging on the Spine.
It describes the message structure for all Spine HL7 V3 interactions.
It should be read in conjunction with the Spine External Interface Specification (EIS) which describes the general shape of the API, including the SOAP wrapper format, and how to build a Message Handling Service (MHS) to interact with Spine.
There are currently three versions of the MiM. Unless you are already using an older version, you should use the latest version - 6.3.01.
How to use the MiM
To find a particular interaction in the MiM:
- In a new tab, open a version of the MiM from the list below
- From the left nav, select a service (domain) category, for example for PDS select 'Domains - Administrative'
- Then select the service (domain), for example 'PDS'
- Navigate to section 6 to see the interactions
- To download an XML schema, click the envelope icon below the table
- To view the message details in a table, click the link next to 'Message Type' and click the table icon