Any organisations that have elected to take a collaborative procurement route need to ensure a certain level of readiness.
In order to run a collaborative procurement it's important to have an established governance structure in place - this will enable the procurement process to progress and allow successful in-life contract management.
NHS Digital has formulated some key documents which will enable organisations to understand and determine whether they are ready for a collaborative procurement approach.
These documents will need to be completed to ensure organisations are ready and committed to fulfilling a collaborative approach.
1. Target Operating Model Template
The Target Operating Model Template demonstrates how the governance structure in place will manage the migration from present supplier to the new wide area network. NHS Digital recommends that organisations involved in a collaborative procurement create a central team, known as an intelligent client function (ICF), which will underpin the Target Operating Model and ensure effective management of the collaborative procurement, migration and in-life contract.
The central team / ICF will have a set of core responsibilities:
Procurement and migration
- Conduct a comprehensive review of the current solution and ensure the proposed network solution is fit for purpose
- Determine service requirements on behalf of all organisations within the collaborative
- Manage and allocate resources (including legal) to support procurement
- Provide migration, co-ordination and management on behalf of partner organisations
- Provide governance at all stages of procurement and contract lifecycle
- Support partners through migration from the TN to HSCN and ensure that they call off services in a timescale aligned to the migration plan
In-life contract management
- Ensure the supplier meets their commitment in relation to migration and business as usual service commitments
- Support partners when service delivery standards are not being met and act as an escalation point for partners where systemic issues arise
- Support implementation and in-life management of the network solution (potentially including billing and payments)
2. Letter of Intent
The Letter of Intent (LOI) states the organisation's commitment to fulfilling a collaborative procurement led by themselves.
3. HSCN Access Procurement RACI
NHS Digital have created a responsibility assignment matrix template (HSCN Access Procurement RACI v2) outlining collaborative procurement roles and responsibilities.