Benefits for dispensers
The benefits of eRD for dispensers are:
- dispensers use their clinical skills to manage eRD prescriptions, which helps to enhance their professional long-term relationship with patients and prescribers
- improved stock control - the issues of an eRD prescription are downloaded 7 days before they are due, allowing time to order any items which are out of stock and to prepare the prescription in advance of the patient arriving to collect it
- increased efficiency and more predictable workload
- reduced time spent collecting paper prescriptions from prescribing sites
- subsequent issues of an eRD prescription are automatically cancelled when the Personal Demographics Service (PDS) is updated with notification of a death
Dispensers are mandated to ask the following questions each time an issue of the eRD prescription is dispensed:
- have you seen any health professional (GP, nurse or hospital doctor) since your last repeat was supplied?
- have you recently started taking any new medicines - either on prescription or that you have bought over the counter?
- have you been having any problems with your medication or experiencing any side effects?
- are there any items on your repeat prescription that you don't need this month?
Based on the patient's answers to these questions, the dispenser will make a clinical decision to either dispense the medication or refer the patient back to their prescriber. If a patient doesn't require an item, the dispenser will mark it as 'Not Dispensed'.
Last edited: 29 July 2021 9:55 am