We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Enhanced advice and guidance
Find out about enhanced Advice and Guidance
Phase 1 has been delivered in 2 releases. The first was delivered on 24 February 2017 and supports advice-only services. The second release was delivered on 24 March 2017, and supports multiple requests and responses (Advice and Guidance dialogue).
Advice only services
- allow service providers to host 'advice only' services on their Directory of Services (DoS), without having to also allow bookings into this service
- can be used for speciality-level advice services, such as when guidance is offered by clinicians not linked to specific services
The enhancements to the NHS e-Referral Service (e-RS) definer screens include:
- 'request types supported' will be located immediately under 'service name' for all services
- if only 'advice request' is selected when setting up a new service, all booking elements of the service set-up are hidden as they are now not relevant
The 'appointment request supported' of Diagnostic Request has been switched-off to allow future e-RS functionality to be developed. All e-RS services which are currently 'Diagnostic Request' services have been switched to 'Appointment Request' Services. There are no changes to how these services work and no action is needed.
Advice and guidance multi-way conversations (dialogue)
This new feature enables clinicians to have multi-way conversations about patients using e-RS.
The changes include:
- enhancements to the current advice and guidance screens
- changes to the workflow
The enhanced advice and guidance overview presentation provides information on these new features. Further information can be found in the Help section of the system, and in the following documents:
Managing advice and guidance requests
Advice and guidance overview
Phase 2 went live on 19 May 2017 and included:
- a new GP/Referrer worklist called 'Advice and Guidance' worklist, allowing Advice and Guidance requests and responses to be viewed on a single worklist
- all items held on the current 'Advice and Guidance Responses' worklist will be moved to the new worklist
- new Advice and Guidance requests will no longer appear on the 'Awaiting Booking Acceptance' worklist
The worklist changes presentation provides information on the new Advice and Guidance worklist.