Select an appropriate UBRN (referral) to review. This opens the referral and shows a summary of the referral details.
- if a referrer sends the referral information from their GP system, then the clinical information column display as a series of headings. It can be viewed by selecting each heading
- information can be printed by selecting the Clinical Information Summary from the Print button dropdown.
- otherwise the referral letters will be located in and accessed via the Attachments section
- click on the blue hyperlink to open/review/print the referral letter
- Once you have reviewed the referral and decided it is clinically appropriate for the clinic, select Accept Review Next in the review referral summary screen
- When you accept a referral, the NHS e-Referral Service (e-RS) will automatically show the next UBRN on the worklist for review
Once accepted, the referral will be removed from the worklist. To find a referral after it’s been accepted you can use the Patient Enquiry with either the patient’s NHS number or an appropriate UBRN.
- once you have reviewed the referral and decided that it is clinically inappropriate for the clinic, select Reject in the Review Referral Summary screen
- select a reason from the Reason dropdown list and enter further information in the comments field
- this information will be visible to the referrer and help them understand why the referral has been rejected
- select Reject Referral, Review Next
- the appointment will automatically be cancelled in your Patient Administration System (PAS).
Once rejected, the referral will be removed from the worklist. You will be able to find it via the Patient Enquiry but only for six months after the rejection.
Record assessment option
- Open the UBRN on the worklist and review the referral
- Select the Record Assessment button
- In the Record Assessment screen select an outcome reason and add any appropriate comments.
The outcome you select will require different actions:
This option will return the UBRN to the patient’s referrer and remove it from your worklists.
Resolved, treated during assessment AND resolved, patient request
Both of these options will simply outcome the referral and remove it from your worklist
This option will ask you to choose which service to refer the patient on to. See referring to another service’ section of this guide for further details.
Refer on, outside NHS e-Referral service
This option is to refer the patient onto a service that is not available on e-RS. Therefore, you must also complete a paper referral to the new service. This option will remove the UBRN from your worklists.