The Secure Email Standard
Emails sent to and from the NHS must be protected to the UK government secure email standard and the Health and Social Care standard, to ensure that sensitive and confidential information is kept secure.
The current Health and Social Care secure email standard (DCB1596) establishes the minimum-security requirements for email systems in health, public health and adult social care.
Download the full secure email specification
Secure email accreditation review update - July 2017
The NHSmail Team has reviewed the DCB1596 standard and is working to continuously improve the standard and the accreditation process. The latest position is detailed here:
New secure email accreditation templates
Following the review of the secure email standard work, the templates used to submit accreditation evidence have been streamlined. The biggest change is in the 'Health and Care Organisation' section. We only require the name and date of the policy or document covering each requirement and suitable approvals to be in place.
Here are the templates that you must use to accredit your email service and should be returned, with the required evidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org:
Microsoft Office 365: Secure Email Configuration Guide
The NHSmail team is rolling out a secure configuration of Microsoft Office 365 (O365) with Microsoft. This enables instances of O365 to securely route emails to and from NHSmail email addresses. Microsoft Office 365: Secure email configuration guide is available. [585.05KB]
When suppliers and organisations meet the published standard they are listed here.
The statements below confirm how NHSmail and Microsoft Office 365 meet their email security obligations:
The conformance statement below confirms how organisations meet their security obligations:
- ISB1596 Conformance Statement: Leicestershire Health Informatics Service (LHIS) [96.73KB]
- ISB1596 Conformance Statement: South East Coast Ambulance Service [39.61KB]
- SCCI1596 Conformance Statement for BMI Healthcare [33.34KB]
- ISB1596 Northumberland Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust [34.43KB] [34.43KB]
- SCCI1596 Conformance Statement: Staffordshire and Stoke on Trent Partnership Trust [59.42KB]
- SCCI1596 Conformance Statement for West Midlands Ambulance Service [57.67KB]
- SCCI1596 Conformance Statement for Mid Cheshire Hospital Foundation Trust [176.98KB] [176.98KB]
- ISB1596 Conformance Statement for University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust [72.61KB]
- ISB1596 Conformance Statement for Staffordshire & Shropshire Health Informatics Service [55.21KB]
- SCCI1596 Conformation Statement: South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust [113.54KB]
- DCB1596 Conformation Statement: Health Education England [388.66KB]
- SCCI1596 Conformance Statement: Egton Medical Information Systems Ltd (EMIS ) [570.47KB]
- SCCI1596 Conformance Statement for University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire v1.1 [313.76KB]
- SCCI1596 Conformance Assessment for Kings Fertility Limited [10.21MB]