Anonymous summary data on patients who have been identified as being on the coronavirus (COVID-19) Shielded Patient List (SPL) has been published for the first time today.
The SPL2 is a very specific subset of patients judged to be at highest risk should they contract coronavirus, identified by the Chief Medical Officer. The categories of patients are outlined here3.
This management information4 will be updated frequently by NHS Digital to inform the public and support the health and social care system with planning.
The open dataset includes regional5 and local data6 to allow for analysis, modelling and planning to take place to aid the response to the coronavirus pandemic.
The open data files and dashboard contain the following analysis:
- A count of living patients7 that are classified as being on the SPL by CCG of residence broken down by age band8 and gender9
- A count of living patients that are classified as being on the SPL by local authority of residence broken down by age band and gender
Identifying patients for inclusion in the SPL required interrogation and analysis of multiple national datasets collected by NHS Digital10. These include:
- Hospital Episode Statistics (HES)11
- Primary Care Prescribed Medicines (PCPM)12
- Personal Demographics Service (PDS)
- Maternity Services Dataset (MSDS)13
- General Practice Extraction Service (GPES)
The dataset will be updated frequently and our statistical teams will build the granularity and potential for insight in subsequent releases.
Feedback is welcome here: email@example.com Please reference “Shielded Patient List Open Dataset feedback” in the title of the email.
Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital