1. NHS Digital is the national information and technology provider for the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2015/16 financial year, NHS Digital published 294 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better. NHS Digital is the new trading name for the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC). We provide 'Information and Technology for better health and care'. Find out more about our role and remit at www.digital.nhs.uk
2. The collection does not include costs relating to the delivery of primary medical, dental or community care, unless those services are provided by staff based in premises owned or operated by secondary care providers. In this case, an element of those costs will be included, but not separately identified.
3. Not all properties are included in the collection in recognition of the fact that to do so would impose unreasonable burden on data providers. The costs involved in the occupancy of these sites are therefore excluded. The collection does not operate in the private/voluntary sector regardless of whether or not an organisation provides NHS-funded care. This is in recognition of the fact that the cost of maintaining and servicing their estate is not a direct cost to the NHS.
4. The "Organisational profile" data section provides information relating to the types of buildings included in an organisation's return, as well as those not included in the collection due to their size.
5. The "Strategies and policies" data section provides a range of non-financial information on an organisation's status in relation to policy-related issues such as carbon reduction.
6. The "Contracted-out services" data section provides information on the volume and value of estates and facilities services that are contracted out by an organisation.
7. The "Finance" data section provides information about the amount of money invested by an organisation, for reasons including new buildings, and maintaining and improving existing buildings.
8. The "Building and land sales" data section provides information on the area of land sold during the reporting period and the income raised by doing so. It also provides forecasts of likely land sales and income for the next financial year.
9. The "Fire safety" data section includes information on issues relating to fire incidents and injuries.
10. The Estates Return Information Collection has existed in its current format since 2001. The precision of the data has changed over time. In many cases this limits and constrains the ability to undertake long-term analysis or compare trends in particular fields. This publication document is limited to a selection of data items considered to be of interest. All data items collected as part of this return are published at http://hefs.hscic.gov.uk
11. For media enquiries or interview requests, please contact email@example.com or telephone 0300 30 33 888.