Regional data available in this report.
Download the infographic: Sexual and Reproductive Health infographic
Statistics on Sexual and Reproductive Health Services, England 2017-183 also includes information about some non-NHS services such as family planning clinics, community contraception clinics and young people's services.
The report contains:
- a demographic breakdown of service users4
- information about the provision of contraception, including emergency contraception, amongst other sexual health services
- numbers of vasectomies and sterilisations at both sexual and reproductive health services and NHS hospitals over a ten-year period5
Detailed information about sexually transmitted disease screening or treatment is not provided - this information is available from the Genitourinary Medicine Clinic Activity Dataset6.
This report does not cover all the ways in which a person may access reproductive.
health services. It excludes services provided in outpatient clinics and those provided by general practitioners7, as well as contraceptives purchased over the counter at a pharmacy or in other retail settings (unless otherwise stated).
Changes over time presented in this report may be due to the way people access contraceptive health services rather than changes in contraceptive use.
Read the full report
Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital
Notes to editors
- NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2017/18 financial year, NHS Digital published 275 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
- This is a National Statistics publication. National statistics are statistics that meet the highest standards of trustworthiness, quality and public value.
- This report presents key findings. A wider range of data is published in the accompanying Excel spreadsheets. Full details of the data sources and other information can be found in the appendices, and data quality issues are covered in the data quality statement.
- Regional statistics and an age breakdown are included.
- The latest Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) are included on vasectomies and sterilisations, which are provisional. Data is given a provisional status when it may change over time as more updates are provided, although the difference between provisional and final figures is expected to be small.
- The Genitourinary Medicine Clinic Activity dataset is a Public Health England publication and can be found here.
- A small amount of data from GPs may be included where sexual and reproductive health services sub-contract to GPs, or where sexual and reproductive health services undertake activity on GP premises.
- For media enquiries please contact email@example.com or telephone 0300 30 33 888.