The second monthly GP appointments publication has been released, covering figures for November 2018.
Appointments in General Practice, November 2018 provides information on subjects such as:
- the number of surgery appointments, home visits, telephone and online consultations
- type of healthcare professional leading the appointment
- the number of appointments where a patient did not attend
This publication also includes the time from booking to appointment, broken down into two groups:
- appointment with a GP
- appointment with other practice staff (for example, a practice nurse)
The data does not say what is driving a particular pattern in times from booking to appointment as there are several factors that can influence this time, including:
- patient availability
- urgency of the appointment
- GP advice as to when an appointment is needed
- availability of appointments at the practice
- regular or repeat appointments that may be booked in advance
Data is available monthly at Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) level for GP practices using the TPP and EMIS systems1.
For more information on the caveats around this data, please see our supporting guidance.
Read the full report
Notes to editors
- These systems account for approximately 95% of the systems in use in England. Therefore, where national figures are cited, these have been estimated to 100% using patient list numbers.
NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend.
During the 2017/18 financial year, NHS Digital published 275 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
For media enquiries please contact email@example.com or telephone 0300 30 33 888. Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital