We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
GP Connect - FHIR APIs
Share information between GP clinical systems and with other healthcare organisations using our GP Connect FHIR APIs.
Use these APIs to share information between GP clinical systems and with other healthcare organisations. For example, a patient record or appointment data can be shared between the clinical system of a patient's registered GP and other GP practices, or NHS 111.
- view the patient’s GP practice record (HTML)
- book an appointment at a patient's GP practice or another site and manage these appointments
- retrieve structured information about a patient from their GP Practice record
- retrieve documents from the patient’s GP Practice record
- send a document to a GP Practice system
For more details, see the GP Connect specifications for developers.
These APIs are FHIR APIs.
For more details, see FHIR.
For a full list of interactions for these APIs, see:
- GP Connect API 0.7.3 - containing Access Record HTML
- GP Connect API 1.5.0-beta – containing Appointments Management, Access Record Structured, Access Document
- GP Connect Messaging 1.3.0-beta - containing Send Document
For details on the general structure of the interactions, see FHIR.