We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Directory of Services - SOAP API
Access information on a wide range of health and care services across England using our Directory of Services (DoS) SOAP API.
Use this API to access Directory of Services (DoS) information on a wide range of health and care services across England.
You can search for services based on a combination of parameters:
- the patient’s age, sex, and current location
- the patient’s clinical need
- the timeframe in which the patient needs a service
You can also search for services using similar parameters, such as by:
- service type - find matching service type ID, location and optional patient details
- clinical term - find matching symptoms, location and optional patient details
- ODS code - find active services with a matching ODS code
- service ID - find active services with a matching service identifier
This service is sometimes referred to as the Urgent and Emergency Care (UEC) Directory of Services (DoS) because it is widely used in this context. For example, NHS 111 use it to find a service in real-time with the capacity to help a patient with given symptoms, within range of a given location, in a given time frame.
You need a valid DoS account to use this API.
This API is stable.
For a full list of interactions, see the DoS SOAP API version 1.5.