Unscheduled care providers
As an unscheduled care provider, you can:
- get a patient's CP-IS information, which automatically triggers a notification to the relevant local authority.
We recommend using this SMSP API instead of the CP-IS HL7 V3 API because:
- it has fewer security requirements (for example, NHS smartcards are not required)
- the onboarding process is simpler (see Onboarding below)
Scheduled care providers
CP-IS is not currently available for use in scheduled care settings.
CP-IS SMSP API access is not available to local authorities.
Information held in CP-IS
CP-IS holds the following information for each registered patient:
- NHS number
- details of their plan - type, start date and end date
- details of the 25 most recent CP-IS information accesses from unscheduled care settings in England
- the name of the responsible local authority - together with their office hours phone and emergency duty contact numbers
All records in CP-IS are held against the patient's NHS number. It is therefore very important to ensure you use the correct NHS number for each patient.
For more details, see CP-IS NHS number matching information.
Using SCRa as an interim measure
We prefer unscheduled care providers to integrate their applications directly with CP-IS using our CP-IS APIs. However, as an interim measure, you can use our Summary Care Record application (SCRa) to access CP-IS information.
This API is an HL7 V3 API.
All interactions are synchronous.
Developing an application against this read-only CP-IS SMSP API is less complex than using the full featured CP-IS HL7 V3 API.
For more details, see HL7 V3.
Last edited: 30 September 2021 2:07 pm