We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Breast and Cosmetic Implant Registry - January 2019 to December 2019, Management Information
- Publication Date:
- 2 Jul 2020
- Geographic Coverage:
- England, Scotland
- Date Range:
- 01 Jan 2019 to 31 Dec 2019
This is the third publication of data from the Breast and Cosmetic Implant Registry. For the first time, the report covers a calendar year and includes Scottish data.
The report also includes: high-level case ascertainment; breakdowns of device and mesh by manufacturer; reported instance of anaplastic large cell lymphoma.
The registry is designed to record the details of any individual, who has a breast implant operation for any reason, so that they can be traced in the event of a product recall or other safety concern relating to a specific type of implant. The registry will also allow the identification of possible trends and complications relating to specific implants.
This report is to provide information on the uptake of the registry. It does not provide a comprehensive view of the number of breast implant operations undertaken.
- 369 submitting organisations from England and Scotland are currently registered to enter data in the registry.
- Since the registry opened in October 2016, data has been entered by 331 English and Scottish submitting organisations.
- 17,365 patients have been recorded as having at least one operation in England or Scotland, between January 2019 and December 2019.
- Data has been submitted to the registry about 17,810 operations undertaken between January 2019 and December 2019 at 145 NHS and 177 independent sector provider sites in England and Scotland.