In the year from October 2012 to September 2013 there were:
- 17.8 million finished consultant episodes (FCEs)², 60.4 per cent (10.8 million) of which included at least one procedure or intervention, and 6.2 million of which were day cases.
- 15.2 million finished admission episodes (FAEs)³ , of which 5.3 million were emergency admissions.
- 96.7 million outpatient appointments made, with 77.5 million (80.1 per cent) of these attended by the patient.
- 7.0 million outpatient appointments not attended by the patient, representing 7.2 per cent of all appointments.
- 18.3 million A&E attendances recorded in A&E HES of which 3.8 million (20.8 per cent) resulted in admission to hospital for inpatient treatment. 3.6 million (19.6 per cent) resulted in a GP follow up, and 7.2 million (39.2 per cent) were discharged with no follow up.
The variation between the most recent month's data is more pronounced when considering clinical (procedures
and diagnoses) coverage. 5.3 per cent More procedures and 7.0 per cent more diagnoses were coded in the HES data submitted to SUS (Month 07) - the extract used for this publication - compared to the HES data submitted to SUS by (Month 06) - the extract used for the previous publication. We accordingly recommend extra caution using clinical codes for the most recent months data.