In the year from May 2012 to April 2013 there were:
Admitted Patient Care
• 17.8 million finished consultant episodes (FCEs), 59.9 per cent (10.6 million) of which included at least one procedure or intervention, and 6.1 million of which were day cases.
• 15.2 million finished admission episodes (FAEs), of which 5.3 million were emergency admissions.
• The shortfall between the most recent month's data is more pronounced when considering clinical (procedures and diagnoses) coverage. 18.3 per cent more procedures and 18.5 per cent more diagnoses were coded in the HES data submitted to SUS by 19/06/13 (Month 02) - extract used for this publication, compared to the HES data submitted to SUS by 17/05/13 (Month 01), extract unpublished. We accordingly recommend extra caution using clinical codes for the most recent months data.
• 93.9 million outpatient appointments made, with 75.3 million (80.2 per cent) of these attended by the patient.
• 6.9 million outpatient appointments not attended by the patient, representing 7.3 per cent of all appointments.
Accident & Emergency
• 18.3 million A&E attendances recorded in A&E HES of which 3.8 million (20.8 per cent) resulted in admission to hospital for inpatient treatment. 3.7 million (20.0 per cent) resulted in a GP follow up, and 7.2 million (39.0 per cent) were discharged with no follow up.