This is the most recent publication of provisional monthly HES (Hospital Episode Statistics) data for NHS Hospitals in England and activity performed in the Independent sector in England commissioned by English NHS.
Provisional Monthly Hospital Episode Statistics for Admitted Patient Care and Outpatient Data - April 2008 to November 2008Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 12 Mar 2009
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2008 to 30 Nov 2008
In the year from December 2007 to November 2008 there were: Inpatients:
• 15.8 million Finished Consultant Episodes (FCEs) (56% of which included at least one procedure or intervention) and of these 5.0 million were day cases.
• 13.8 million Admission Episodes, of which 4.9 million were emergency admissions.
• 70.5 million outpatient appointments made with 57.5 million patients attending an appointment.
• 5.7 million patients did not attend appointments - this represents 8.0% of all appointments.
Topic of interest: Assaults:
• In the year from December 2007 to November 2008 there were 4,899 Admission Episodes for assault by sharp object of which 2,830 were from Tackling Knives Action Programme (TKAP) local authorities and 2,069 from non-TKAP areas.
• In the year from December 2006 to November 2007 there were 5,350 Admission Episodes for assault by sharp object of which 3,161 were from TKAP local authorities and 2,189 from non-TKAP areas.
• Between these periods admission episodes for assault by sharp object fell by around 8% in England, around 10% in TKAP areas and around 5% in non-TKAP areas. Note that the Tackling Knives Action Programme was introduced in June 2008
• For teenagers (13-19 years old), who TKAP is aimed at, admission episodes for assault by sharp object fell by around 14% in England (from 1,159 to 995), around 17% in TKAP areas (from 772 to 638) and around 8% in non-TKAP areas (from 387 to 357) between the same periods.