This is the most recent publication of provisional monthly HES (Hospital Episode Statistics) data for NHS Hospitals in England and activity performed in the Independent sector in England commissioned by English NHS.
Provisional Monthly Hospital Episode Statistics for Admitted Patient Care and Outpatient Data - April 2008 to December 2008Official statistics
- Publication Date:
- 8 Apr 2009
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- Date Range:
- 01 Apr 2008 to 31 Dec 2008
In the year from January 2008 to December 2008 there were:
• 15.9 million Finished Consultant Episodes (FCEs) (56.6% of which included at least one procedure or intervention) and of these 5.1 million were day cases.
• 13.9 million Admission Episodes, of which 4.9 million were emergency admissions.
• 71 million outpatient appointments made with 58 million patients attending an appointment.
• 5.7 million patients did not attend appointments - this represents 8.0% of all appointments.
Topic of interest: Assaults:
• In the year from January 2008 to December 2008 there were 4,874 Admission Episodes for assault by sharp object of which 2,778 were from Tackling Knives Action Programme (TKAP) local authorities and 2,096 from non-TKAP areas.
• In the year from January 2007 to December 2007 there were 5,292 Admission Episodes for assault by sharp object of which 3,142 were from TKAP local authorities and 2,150 from non-TKAP areas.
• Between these periods admission episodes for assault by sharp object fell by around 7.9% in England, around 11.6% in TKAP areas and around 2.5% in non-TKAP areas. Note that the Tackling Knives Action Programme was introduced in June 2008.
• For teenagers (13-19 years old), who TKAP is aimed at, admission episodes for assault by sharp object fell by around 15.6% in England (from 1,156 to 976), around 19.5% in TKAP areas (from 770 to 620) and around 7.8% in non-TKAP areas (from 386 to 356) between the same periods.