General and Personal Medical Services, England : Final 31 December 2017 and Provisional 31 March 2018, experimental statistics
This is part of General Practice WorkforceOfficial statistics
- Publication date:
- 15 May 2018
- Geographic coverage:
- Geographical granularity:
- GP practices, Primary Care Organisations, Regional health body, Regions, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Health Education England Region, Sustainability and Transformation Partnerships
- Date range:
- 30 Sep 2015 to 31 Mar 2018
This publication includes a high-level overview of the numbers and details of all General Practice staff groups in England, including by type, gender, and age, for provisional March 2018 data.
Please note: The March 2018 data in this publication is provisional as Electronic Staff Record (ESR) information for March 2018 is not available at the time of publication, therefore ESR data from December 2017 has been used. It is for this reason that the General and Personal Medical Services in England March 2018 workforce data has been labelled 'Provisional'. Final March 2018 data will be available in August 2018. The move from provisional to final figures generally involves small changes to the figures, taking into account the latest ESR data and it is the opportunity for other amendments.
Final GP Workforce data, incorporating up to date Electronic Staff Record (ESR) information, was previously released twice yearly. We are now refreshing this data quarterly, and the December 2017 data has been updated in the time series within this publication to reflect this change from provisional to final.
Time series data is available within the Excel tables together with more detailed information for March 2018 data for England, by NHS England Regions, Health Education England Regions, Clinical Commissioning Groups, Sustainability and Transformation Partnership and practice.
This publication includes an experimental interactive dashboard which allows users to explore the underlying final data in a variety of ways. We especially welcome your suggestions and feedback on this product.
This report is one of several publications presenting details of staff numbers within the healthcare workforce. Links to these publications are at the bottom of the page.
NHS Digital invites comments and feedback on the methodology applied. Feedback is welcomed via email. Please email us with your comments and suggestions, clearly stating NHS Workforce as the subject heading, via email@example.com or contact 0300 303 5678.
We hope this information is helpful and would be grateful if you could spare a couple of minutes to complete a short customer satisfaction survey, found under Related Links.
• The total GP headcount (excluding Registrars, Retainers & Locums) is 34,435 as at March 2018. This is an increase of 40 (0.1 per cent) from 34,395 in December 2017.
• The total GP full time equivalent (FTE) (excluding Registrars, Retainers & Locums) is 27,773 as at March 2018. This is a decrease of 157 (0.6 per cent) from 27,930 in December 2017.
• The total headcount was 22,976 for Nurses, 18,132 for Direct Patient Care staff and 92,873 for Admin/Non-Clinical staff as at March 2018.
• The total FTE was 15,889 for Nurses, 12,013 for Direct Patient Care staff and 64,857 for Admin/Non-Clinical staff as at March 2018.