Summary Hospital-level Mortality Indicator (SHMI) - Deaths associated with hospitalisation, England, July 2010 - June 2011, Experimental statisticsExperimental statistics, Official statistics, Open data
- Publication Date:
- 25 Jan 2012
- Geographic Coverage:
- Geographical Granularity:
- NHS Trusts
- Date Range:
- 01 Jul 2010 to 30 Jun 2011
This publication of the SHMI relates to discharges in the reporting period July 2010 to June 2011.
This is the second publication of the SHMI. This publication includes some methodological changes from the previous publication and two additional contextual indicators describing Palliative Care coding to add some context to the interpretation of the SHMI.
This publication also moves to using only one banding, which accounts for over-dispersion although control limits for both the bandings are published for transparency, and for the benefit of users who require these. Further details of these changes can be found in the methodological changes document (see Related Links).
In the period from 1 July 2010 to 30 June 2011:
• 11 trusts had a SHMI value categorised as 'higher than expected'
• 14 trusts had a SHMI value categorised as 'lower than expected'
• 122 trusts had a SHMI value categorised as 'as expected'
• The percentage of patient admissions with palliative care coded at either diagnosis or specialty level is approximately 0.9 per cent
• The percentage of patient deaths with palliative care coded at either diagnosis or specialty level is approximately 16.0 per cent