We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
DCB0092-2062 : Commissioning Data Sets: Emergency Care Data Set
Type 011: Emergency Care Data Set (ECDS) is the Commissioning Data Set (CDS) Type for emergency care services.
About this information standard
The Emergency Care Data Set (ECDS) enables the capture of information about:
- the complexity and acuity of attending patients
- the causes of rising demand
- the value added by emergency departments.
It also allows for:
- the capture of diagnostic data to ensure an enhanced understanding of need, activity and outcomes
- consistent monitoring of data across local and national initiatives
- support for injury surveillance, such that it will be possible to identify patterns that may be amenable to targeted interventions and improved public health.
This information standard is published under section 250 of the Health and Social Care Act 2012. An Information Standards Notice (see below) provides an overview of scope and implementation timescales, and the other listed documents provide further detail for those who have to implement the information standard.
|Release number||Amd 19/2020|
|Release title||CDS Version 6.2.3 Type 011|
|Note||ISB 0092 is the overarching information standard for the Commissioning Data Sets, refer to this for submission of existing CDS types.|
|Release number||Amd 34/2018|
|Release title||CDS Version 6.2.2 Type 011|
|Release number||Amd 17/2015|
|Release title||Version 6.2.1: Addition of Type 011: Emergency Care Data Set (ECDS)|