These visualisations present time-series data for selected high level measures from the Mental Health Services Monthly Statistics publication. Data is available from April 2016.
Mental health services monthly statistics
Interactive visualisations for selected measures released in the Mental Health Services Monthly Statistics publication.
Mental health services
This visualisation shows data categorised as follows:
- People in contact with Mental Health Services by age band - the number of people known to be in contact with secondary mental health services, by broad age groups (0-18, 19-64 and 65+ years)
- People in contact with Mental Health Services - the number of people known to be in contact with adult mental health services and children and young people mental health services
- Open ward stays in Mental Health Services – the number of open ward stays in adult mental health services and children and young people mental health services
- Open referrals in Mental Health Services – the number of open referrals in adult mental health services and children and young people mental health services
The default view displays all providers and one pre-selected provider. To change the pre-selected provider, or to change the breakdown type from Provider to CCG, hover your mouse underneath the ‘Name & ID’ heading to enable the ‘Clear selections’ eraser icon. Select this icon to clear the default pre-selected view and enable your own selections.
Select breakdown by either clinical commissioning group (CCG) or provider, and the reporting period and category you would like to view. If you wish to display results for a specific provider or CCG, choose them from the ‘Name & ID’ option.
The ALL PROVIDERS OR ALL CCG’S bar chart is interactive. Select a bar segment to display results for your selection in the corresponding time series chart.
Hover your mouse over a visual to see results displayed in the tooltip.
Mental Health Act
This visualisation shows the number of people known to be subject to the Mental Health Act at the end of each reporting period. It shows:
- the number of people detained
- the number of people subject to a Community Treatment Order or conditional discharge
- the number of people subject to a short term detention order
To filter records for a specific organisation or reporting period, make selections from those options. Results for selections made are displayed in the visualisation. Charts in the visualisation are interactive.
Hover your mouse over a visual to see the numbers for either measure by reporting period, or measure by organisation in the tooltip.
Mental health services referrals and care contacts for children and young people aged 0-18
This visualisation shows, for children and young people aged 0-18 in mental health services:
- the number of referrals starting in a reporting period, by referral source
- the number of attended contacts, by consultation medium
- the number of missed contacts, by ‘did not attend’ reason
Hover your mouse over a visualisation to see the numbers for either measure by category or measure by month.
Pie and bar charts for each measure by category display totals for all available months combined, by default.
Time series charts display totals for each measure by individual month, by default.
To display monthly totals for a specific category in a measure, select the category from the visualisation. Monthly totals for the selected category will display in the corresponding time series chart.
How to use this tool
This tool is best used by expanding to full screen mode, using the diagonal arrows located at the bottom right of each visualisation.
To filter results, please refer to the specific instructions accompanying each visualisation.
To change the reporting period shown in any time series view, select the required reporting period using either the slider bar or by left clicking on the date to bring up the calendar date selection.
To clear filtered results, hover your mouse underneath any filtered option heading to enable the ‘Clear selections’ eraser icon. Select this icon to clear previous selections and filtered results.
Please note that these statistics relate to complete calendar month reporting periods. Although it is possible to select part-month start and end periods in these visualisations, the statistics are not provided at this level of detail.
What you can find out
- How many people are known to be in contact with or referred to secondary mental health services, according to the data submitted to the MHSDS.
- How many people are known to be subject to the Mental Health Act, according to the data submitted to the MHSDS.
- Make comparisons between providers or Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs).
What the report can't tell you
- How many people were in contact with secondary mental health services or subject to the Mental Health Act, as the MHSDS data are known to be incomplete.
- Whether variations by provider or CCG area are due to variations in levels of mental illness, service provision or due to data quality limitations.
- Whether changes over time are due to changes in levels of mental illness, service provision or the completeness of the MHSDS data. Any spikes or step changes may be the result of MHSDS data quality issues.
Notes and data sources
- To help interpret these visualisations, please refer to the MHSDS specifications and guidance.
- Further information about the measures presented in the report are available in the Mental Health Services Monthly Statistics publications.
All values are rounded to the nearest 5, except values that are 4 or lower (including 0) which are suppressed to prevent the identification of individuals.
Figures produced by aggregation in this report may differ from those published as this report calculates totals as the sum of rounded figures.
Suppressed values appear as blank cells in tables and are not counted in rounded totals.
Percentages are based on pre-suppressed values and rounded to zero decimal places, except where the numerator is 0-4, where the percentage is suppressed.