We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
These data are from the Mental Health Services Data Set (MHSDS), which reuses operational data produced by NHS and independent providers. The MHSDS data are known to be incomplete and are therefore an undercount at England level.
This report presents information about the quality of data and statistics published each month. This includes provider-level data quality information to help users understand the impact of local data quality issues. The purpose of this report is to support data quality improvement by making this information available in an accessible and interactive format.
Data is available from April 2016.
Providers submitting data to the Mental Health Services Data Set
This visualisation shows providers that submitted data to the MHSDS each month from April 2016. Hover over the visualisation to display results in the tooltip.
All providers of NHS funded specialist secondary mental health and learning disability services should submit data to the MHSDS. NHS Digital is working with partners to identify non-submitting organisations and improve compliance. MHSDS submission reports show those providers providing a submission compared to those NHS Digital consider to be in scope for the collection.
Coverage for Mental Health Services Data Set
The coverage table (above) displays the volume of data submitted by each provider, by MHSDS data table and by reporting period. To display additional data, click the downwards arrow (↓) to enable 'drill down' in the table and select the required provider.
The feedback table displays supplementary information about data quality submitted by providers in response to NHS Digital assurance activities.
VODIM status for MHSDS records by Measure and Provider
The MHSDS includes 'VODIM' data validation rules around important data fields. These group data submitted by providers fall into one of five categories: Valid, Other, Default, Invalid, Missing.
This visualisation shows:
- the number of data quality records by provider
- the number of data quality records by reporting period and VODIM result
- the percentage of data quality records by reporting period and VODIM result.
To filter records for a specific provider, data quality measure or reporting period, make selections from those options. Results for selections made are displayed in the visualisation. All charts in the visualisation are interactive.
Hover your mouse over any bar in the visualisation to display results in the tooltip.
How to use this tool
This tool is best used by expanding to full screen mode, using the diagonal arrows located at the bottom right of the visualisation.
To filter results, please refer to the specific instructions accompanying each visualisation.
To change the period shown in any time series view, select the required reporting period using either the slider bar or by left clicking on the date to bring up the calendar date selection.
To clear filtered results, hover your mouse underneath any filtered option heading to enable the ‘Clear selections’ eraser icon. Select this icon to clear previous selections and filtered results.
Please note that these statistics relate to complete calendar month reporting periods. Although it is possible to select part-month start and end periods in these visualisations, the statistics are not provided at this level of detail.
What you can find out
- The number of providers submitting data to the MHSDS each month
- The volume of records submitted by each provider, by month
- Data quality information for VODIM measures developed for the MHSDS
What the report can't tell you
- How many organisations should be submitting data. NHS Digital is working with partners to identity and contact non-submitting organisations who are believed to be in scope of MHSDS. When provider status is confirmed, the relevant organisations are added to the MHSDS Submission Report (see link below).
- Whether the submitted data by a particular organisation are complete.
MHSDS submission report
This report shows those providers providing a submission compared to those NHS Digital currently consider to be in scope for the collection.
Notes and data sources
- VODIM tables display record breakdown by 'Valid', 'Other' , 'Default', 'Invalid', 'Missing' (VODIM) status by provider or by measure.
- To help interpret these visualisations, please refer to the MHSDS specifications and guidance.
- Further information about the measures presented in the report are available in the Mental Health Services Monthly Statistics publications.
All values are rounded to the nearest 5, except values that are 4 or lower (including 0) which are suppressed to prevent the identification of individuals.
Figures produced by aggregation in this report may differ from those published as this report calculates totals as the sum of rounded figures.
Suppressed values appear as blank cells in tables and are not counted in rounded totals.
Percentages are based on pre-suppressed values and rounded to zero decimal places, except where the numerator is 0-4, where the percentage is suppressed.