We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Mental health services currency and payments
Interactive visualisations for currency and payments measures released in the Mental Health Services Monthly Statistics publication.
These visualisations present data for currency and payments measures from the Mental Health Services Monthly Statistics publication. The purpose of this information is to support commissioners and providers using the mental health currencies and payments system.
Under this system, patients are assigned to ‘care clusters’ (these are the ‘currencies’). Each cluster is linked to a care package, which commissioners are paying for.
Data is available from April 2016.
Organisation comparison by month
This visualisation shows how organisations compare against each another at the end of a monthly reporting period by:
- proportion of people assigned to an adult mental health care cluster within a cluster review period
- proportion of people assigned who are on Care Programme Approach (CPA)
- proportion of people in settled accommodation
Select breakdown by either clinical commissioning group (CCG) or provider, and then the month, measure and care cluster you would like to compare. Results for selections made are displayed in the visualisation. Values are returned in descending percentage order. Hover your mouse over any bar in the visualisation to display results in the tooltip.
Organisation comparison by time series
This visualisation uses the same data, but allows users to compare organisations against each another for all available months, displayed as a time series.
An example of Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) multiple selections is displayed by default. Select breakdown by either Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) or provider and then the organisations, measure and care cluster you would like to compare. A maximum of three organisations are recommended for selection at any one time. Results for selections made are displayed in the visualisation. Hover your mouse over the visualisation to display results in the tooltip.
Number of people on CPA, assigned to an adult mental health care cluster or in settled accommodation
This visualisation includes data for all remaining currency and payment measures not covered in the visualisations above and shows numbers of people who at the end of a monthly reporting period are:
- on Care Programme Approach (CPA)
- assigned to an adult mental health (MH) care cluster
- assigned to an adult mental health (MH) care cluster within a cluster review period
- in settled accommodation
Select breakdown by either clinical commissioning group (CCG) or provider, and then the measure and care cluster you would like to display. Results for all organisations are displayed in both the chart and table. Select an organisation from the table to see results for that organisation only in the chart. Hover your mouse over the chart to display results in the tooltip.
How to use this tool
This tool is best used by expanding to full screen mode, using the diagonal arrows located at the bottom right of the visualisation.
To filter results, please refer to the specific instructions underneath each visualisation.
To change the period shown in any time series view, select the required reporting period using either the slider bar or by left clicking on the date to bring up the calendar date selection.
To clear filtered results, hover your mouse underneath the filtered option heading to enable the ‘Clear selections’ eraser icon. Select this icon to clear previous selections and filtered results.
Please note that these statistics relate to complete calendar month reporting periods. Although it is possible to select part-month start and end periods in these visualisations, the statistics are not provided at this level of detail.
What you can find out
- Information about mental health currency and payments for NHS-funded mental health services, according to the data submitted to the MHSDS.
- Make comparisons between providers or Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs).
What the report can't tell you
- Whether variations by provider or CCG area are due to variations in service provision or due to data quality limitations.
- Whether changes over time are due to changes in service provision or the completeness of the MHSDS data. Any spikes or step changes may be the result of MHSDS data quality issues.
Notes and data sources
- To help interpret these visualisations, please refer to the MHSDS specifications and guidance.
- Further information about the measures presented is available in the Mental Health Services Monthly Statistics publications.
- National guidance on the NHS payment system includes further information about mental health currencies and payments.
All values are rounded to the nearest 5, except values that are 4 or lower (including 0) which are suppressed to prevent the identification of individuals.
Figures produced by aggregation in this report may differ from those published as this report calculates totals as the sum of rounded figures.
Suppressed values appear as blank cells in tables and are not counted in rounded totals.
Percentages are based on pre-suppressed values and rounded to zero decimal places, except where the numerator is 0-4, where the percentage is suppressed.