We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
We are asking hospitals to identify patients who are at the highest risk from coronavirus (COVID-19), and submit their details to us, so that they can be added to the Shielded Patient List (SPL).
We are also asking hospitals to:
- review the weekly data we send to them showing the change of shielding status for patients within their care
- ensure consultants and specialists providing care for those patients consider the current shielding status in reviewing the care of individual patients
Identifying patients as at high risk from coronavirus enables appropriate advice and guidance to be provided to those patients in the event of a local, regional or national coronavirus outbreak.
The submission window will be open daily between 8am and 5pm.
We can only accept one submission from each trust per day.
The data must be submitted by a named contact in the trust. Your trust data team should be able to provide details of Covid-19 lead(s) for your trust. Failing this, contact information can be provided to NHS trust staff by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you want to nominate another contact, it must be someone who is already registered to submit for one of the COVID-19 related data collections.
All error messages will be flagged in column N of the collection tool. You will not be able to submit the file until all errors are resolved.
This image shows the template in the SDCS. It includes the following fields:
- consultant code
- NHS number
- date of birth
- disease group:
- 1 - transplant
- 2a - cancer undergoing active chemo
- 2b - haematological cancers
- 3 - respiratory
- 4 - rare genetic, metabolic and autoimmune
- 5 - women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired
- 6 - any other category - such as Academy of Medical Royal Colleges (AoMRC), COVID-19 Population Risk Tool Assessment, etc
- supporting summary (max 255 char) including supporting ICD-10/OPCS codes
The list will be available for download via SEFT to those individuals nominated to manage COVID-19 data within your trust. They will be the same nominated contacts who are authorised to submit changes to the COVID-19 risk status for patients in your care as in the section above.
We would recommend that you use Internet Explorer 11 and Java version 8 when using the transfer tool. You'll have to add the link to the website in your 'Compatibility View Settings'.
If you have any questions about those people who can submit and retrieve data on your organisation’s behalf, please contact email@example.com.