The NHS shielded patients list will be disseminated by NHS Digital to recipients under data sharing terms of release which will set out the agreed purposes for which the data is to be used, commitments to secure handling and management of the list, and the scope of onward dissemination.
Who can receive this list
Organisations receiving the list
The following organisations are receiving the list:
- the Cabinet Office, and via the Cabinet Office, Local Authorities, for the purposes of delivering the government's extremely vulnerable persons service
- NHS clinical commissioning groups (CCGs), for the purposes of providing GP practices with support, and patients in their CCG area with support and care
- Capita, for the purposes of distributing letters to shielded patients
- NHS Business Services Authority, for the purposes of sending text messages to shielded patients
- NHS England/NHS Improvement and TPP, for the purposes of identifying patients on the shielded patients list who are currently in prison and who need advice, support, and care.
- Hospitals and GP practices, for patients in their care
- NHS England, for the purposes of commissioning
Supermarkets do not receive the NHS Shielded Patient List. When patients register with the government’s extremely vulnerable persons service they can request support for food deliveries. It is this information that flows to the supermarkets or food distributors. For further information, see the privacy statement for the government service.
We will update this page with further recipients when required.
Terms of release
This is the terms of release agreed by NHS Digital with the Cabinet Office. Note that at the time of the letter, the list was known as the 'vulnerable patient list'.