Clinical Safety - for better, safer patient care
The Clinical Safety Team provides a clinical safety assurance service, across the whole of NHS Digital's programmes.
Clinical Risk Management Standards
Discover more about Clinical Risk Management Standards and download the latest requirements and implementation guidance.
Clinical Risk Management training
Clinical Safety supports the NHS and its suppliers with training in several principles within the context of health IT.
What the Clinical Safety team do
The Clinical Safety Team provides a clinical safety assurance service, across the whole of NHS Digital's programmes. We ensure the operation of a consistent clinical safety management approach so that NHS IT systems support clinicians in providing better, safer patient care.
The Clinical Safety Team is responsible for:
- managing and overseeing the assurance of safety related releases, including the review of supplier safety deliverables
- ensuring that all safety related risks associated with a release are actively managed and that appropriate mitigations are applied
- supporting customers in their engagement with the Clinical Safety Group (CSG) and the provision of Clinical Authority to Release (CATR) certificates
- providing support to Manufacturers and Health Organisations to ensure they understand their compliance obligations with respect to the Commissioning Board clinical safety standards
- managing live safety incidents
- providing a quality training programme to stakeholders
Introduction to the Clinical Safety team
The Clinical Safety Team are a multi-disciplinary team made up of Safety Engineers and Clinical Safety officers. The team are based across the Leeds, London and Exeter offices.
More information about Clinical Safety
Information standards underpin national healthcare initiatives from the Department of Health, NHS England, the Care Quality Commission and other national health organisations.
Clinical Risk Management Training is designed to provide NHS organisations and manufacturers of Health IT products with training in the principles of safety, risk management and risk mitigation.