New cyber security service to boost NHS protection
27 November 2017
NHS Digital has today announced a £20m project to boost its ability to support the NHS with its data security.
The Security Operations Centre will provide enhanced monitoring of national services across health and care and will also enable NHS Digital to offer specific advice and guidance to local NHS organisations.
The new investment will boost the existing services provided by NHS Digital in this space. These include:
- A monitoring service which analyses intelligence from multiple sources and shares guidance, advice, threat intelligence and remediation to relevant contacts in health and care
- On-site data security assessments for NHS organisations, to enable them to identify any potential weaknesses and to get the best value from local investment
- Specialist support for any NHS organisation which believes it may have been affected by a cyber security incident
- Ongoing monitoring of NHS Digital national systems and services
NHS Digital is looking for a partner to support them with the project, enabling them to flexibly bring in additional specialist expertise and increase capability as and when required. The contract is tendered to run for three to five years.
Dan Taylor, Head of the Digital Security Centre at NHS Digital explains, "The Security Operations Centre will enhance NHS Digital's current data security services that support the health and care system in protecting sensitive patient information.
"The partnership will provide access to extra specialist resources during peak periods and enable the team to proactively monitor the web for security threats and emerging vulnerabilities. It will also allow us to improve our current capabilities in ethical hacking, vulnerability testing and the forensic analysis of malicious software, and will improve our ability to anticipate future vulnerabilities while supporting health and care in remediating current known threats.
"By creating a national, near-real-time monitoring and alerting service that covers the whole health and care system, the SOC will drive economies of scale, giving health and care organisations additional intelligence and support services that they might not otherwise be able to access."
Follow us on Twitter: @NHSDigital
Notes to editors
1. NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner of the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. During the 2016/17 financial year, NHS Digital published 292 statistical reports. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better.
2. For media enquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 0300 30 33 888.