Annual NHS dental statistics published
23 September 2016
NHS Digital released figures today on all patients who received NHS dental care in England during the last financial year.
NHS Digital must be quoted as the source of these figures
Regional data are available within this report
NHS Dental Statistics for England 2015/16 provides statistics on the number and type of dentists, dental treatments carried out, the number of patients seen, and other subjects.
The report includes breakdowns into subject areas such as:
- Courses of treatment, by elements including area and patient type
- Statistics on patients seen, by adult and child patients, and various geographies
- NHS dentists, by a range of demographic characteristics, including gender, age, and geography to sub-region level.
The information in this report is used by the Department of Health to inform government policy on NHS dentistry, by local NHS managers to help plan and deliver local dental services, and for public information.
In previous dental publications, data were presented for child patients seen in the previous 24 months. However, this year's report brings data on children in line with NICE guidelines3, presenting figures for children seen in the previous 12-month period.
As a result of this distinct break in the time series, the figures for child patients seen cannot be compared to previous years.
Data will continue to be presented for adult patients seen in the previous 24 months, meaning that adult data remain comparable to figures contained in prior publications.
Read the full report at http://digital.nhs.uk/pubs/dental1516
Notes to editors
1. NHS Digital is the national information and technology provider for the health and care system. Our team of information analysis, technology and project management experts create, deliver and manage the crucial digital systems, services, products and standards upon which health and care professionals depend. Our vision is to harness the power of information and technology to make health and care better. NHS Digital is the new trading name for the Health and Social Care Information Centre (HSCIC). We provide 'Information and Technology for better health and care'. Find out more about our role and remit at www.digital.nhs.uk
2. This report covers work carried out by 'high street dentists', who account for the majority of dental activity, and work undertaken by dentists under vocational training. The publication does not cover dental services provided privately.
4. For media enquiries or interview requests, please contact email@example.com or telephone 0300 30 33 888.