We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
NHS Digital is the national information and technology partner to the health and care system
Our priorities are:
- creating technology platforms so that others can build on them. We use open-source software, shared standards, application programming interfaces (APIs), micro-services and reusable data services to support collaboration and innovation
- transforming our data architecture and services, improving performance so that more complex data sets can flow more quickly and building analytics capabilities using machine learning and natural language processing
- making all new services are cloud- and internet- first. We are helping system partners migrate to the cloud quickly and safely
- working with NHSX to coordinate and control local digital investment and help local and national partners get the best value for money from their IT suppliers
- continuing to provide the system and our arm’s length body partners with a centre of expertise for the planning, design and delivery of digital and data systems
Other services and organisations you should know about
Digital marketplace - public sector organisations, including agencies and arm’s length bodies, can use the Digital Marketplace to find people and technology for digital projects.
Crown Commercial Services (CCS) – the biggest public procurement organisation in the UK used by public and third sector buyers in the UK.
NHS supply chain - NHS supply chain manages the sourcing, delivery and supply of healthcare products, services and food for NHS trusts and healthcare organisations across England and Wales.
NHS Shared Business Services (SBS) - provide finance, procurement, ICT and employment services to around 40% of the NHS.
Government departments and NHS arm’s length bodies (ALBs)
Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) - responsible for government policy on health and adult social care matters in England.
NHSX - a joint unit bringing together teams from DHSC, NHS England and NHS Improvement to drive the digital transformation of care.
NHS England and NHS Improvement - NHS England and NHS Improvement have joined together as a single organisation to better support the NHS and help improve care for patients.
techUK - technology membership organisation.
INTEROPen - interest group for suppliers and NHS customers to promote and implement open information sharing across health and care.
Innovation and funding sources
Academic Health Science Network (AHSN) - regional organisations encouraging innovation in healthcare.
Innovate UK - support businesses develop and realise the potential of new ideas.
Healthcare UK - promote UK healthcare expertise overseas.
NHS Innovation Accelerator - supports the uptake of innovations across the NHS in England.