A service is something that helps someone do something. Services can be very small and simple, or very large and complex. We know services perform better when people with the relevant skills design and build them, involving end users of the service throughout.
- Service design addresses the whole user journey to create services that reflect the way users think about or use them.
- By doing this, we improve the user experience, which is the total experience of the user’s interactions with the service, including if necessary both online and offline steps.
User experience is impacted positively or negatively by factors including:
- the provider’s initial understanding of user needs
- the design and delivery of the system
- the reliable and secure performance of the service in life
- the way the provider uses data and insights to continuously improve the service.
The user must be the ultimate judge of the user experience.