The following guidelines should assist individuals in their assessment and understanding of conflict situations:
1. Individuals shall declare any conflicts of interest he / she have in any item submitted to the Committee for consideration.
2. All IGARD meetings will include an agenda item which invites individuals to declare interests.
3. Point 2 above notwithstanding, it is the responsibility of all individuals covered by the policy to ensure that they notify IGARD Chair and Secretariat of any conflicts of interest, whether prompted to do so or not. This is because the individual may be absent from any or all meetings at which such an Interest is discussed.
4. Declarations of conflicts of interest at IGARD meetings shall be clearly recorded in the minutes of that meeting and the register below updated accordingly.
5. Individuals declaring conflicts of interests are normally permitted to stay in the room whilst an item giving rise to conflict is being addressed. The decisions as to whether the individual may stay in the room and contribute to discussion are at the discretion of the Chair or Lead of the meeting in question.
6. At IGARD meetings, individuals shall not Chair or lead discussion on items in respect of which they have declared an Interest.
7. Individuals shall not be permitted to vote on items in which they have declared an Interest and may be asked to leave the room during any voting process at the discretion of the Chair.
8. Individuals shall not misuse their position or the information acquired in the course of their IGARD duties to further interests not concerned with their IGARD role, or to publicly challenge the approaches of IGARD and the organisations it works with,
9. Individuals shall not use their membership of / participation in IGARD in the promotion of commercial products or services.
10. Exceptionally, and only in the interests of the IGARD’s public integrity, the Chair of IGARD may need to clarify why an individual has not declared an interest previously anticipated.
11. The Conflict of Interest register will be reviewed annually at IGARD or at any time when a new Member(s) joins or Member(s) leaves IGARD and updated by the Secretariat team.