We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Diversity and inclusion
As an organisation, we value and understand differences in our people and use it to innovate. Find out about our objectives and the demographics of our workforce.
Our 2019 workforce demographics - we have 2,840 employees at NHS Digital (as of 31 March 2019). Find out about the demographics of our workforce.
- We will deliver appropriate learning and development to ensure that all NHS Digital staff develop a good level of equality and diversity awareness.
- We will work towards having no difference in the employment outcomes for NHS Digital staff or potential recruits because of protected characteristics.
- We will develop best practice in workforce equality and diversity by creating internal and external networks and supporting positive action initiatives.
- Guided by industry best practice, when we communicate with the public and service users, we will seek to deliver clearer, more representative, and more accessible information and guidance.
- We will establish a network of staff who will investigate the ways in which we can ensure that our products, policies and behaviours reflect the communities we serve and do not disadvantage or otherwise negatively impact the public and users of our services.
- As the trusted national provider of high-quality information and data about health and social care, we will improve our focus on protected characteristics in the information that we collect and share. By doing so, we will improve knowledge about the health of, and care experienced by, those with protected characteristics.
This is our fourth annual report on our workforce demographics, which we use to help promote equality of opportunity, and to tackle discrimination.
We have 3,068 employees at NHS Digital (as of 31 March 2018). Find out about the demographics of our workforce.
As of 31 March 2017, we had 2,833 employees at NHS Digital. Find out about the demographics of our workforce.
Find out about our diversity and inclusion workforce report 2015/16.
An introduction to our staff networks and how they make NHS Digital a fairer and more equal place to work.
Since 2016, we have embarked on a programme of work to deliver our vision for diversity and inclusion that goes beyond the requirements of the Equality Act 2010.