We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
National Clinical Improvement Programme (NCIP) theatre data set discovery Data Provision Notice
A Data Provision Notice for the collection of data to inform the theatre data set discovery work being undertaken across a number of secondary care providers (discovery sites), including NCIP pilot sites, as part of the National Clinical Improvement Programme (NCIP).
The purpose of the data collection is to support the theatre data set discovery work being undertaken across a number of secondary care providers (discovery sites), including NCIP pilot sites, as part of the National Clinical Improvement Programme (NCIP).
Further information about this programme is available from NHS Improvement.
The discovery project aims to:
- demonstrate that theatre data can be extracted from theatre systems by secondary care providers
- demonstrate that theatre data can be securely transmitted to, processed and stored by NHS Digital
- demonstrate that the theatre data can be successfully linked to Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) Admitted Patient Care (APC) data at procedure level, including developing an optimised algorithm to support such data linkage
- assess the feasibility of using theatre data to address the issue of accurate attribution of activity to the correct consultant or other healthcare professional
- inform the subsequent development of a National Theatre Data Set, including understanding data items and definitions routinely recorded within theatre systems and potential barriers, burden and costs associated with submission to NHS Digital.
The information collected will be disseminated to NHS Improvement to support the National Clinical Improvement Programme (NCIP). Only patient data which has been de-identified in line with the principles of the ICO Code of Practice on anonymisation will be disseminated. The data will include details of clinical staff involved in the care of the patient.
Scope of the collection
Six NHS foundation trusts have volunteered to take part in the discovery data collection, as listed in Annex B of the Data Provision Notice.
Legal basis of the collection
Sections 259(1)(a), 259(5) and 259(8) of the Health and Social Care Act 2012.
This is a one-off collection to provide theatre data to support the discovery project. The collection is scheduled to take place between October 2019 and March 2021.
March 2020: Update: Note that the collection and processing period has been extended from March 2020 to enable NHS Digital and the National Clinical Improvement Programme (NCIP) to complete Discovery activities and analysis.