We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
SGSS and CHESS data
Data Provision Notice to require the submission of data from Public Health England relating to COVID-19 testing, surveillance and hospitalisation, from the SGSS and CHESS systems.
The data to be collected under this Notice relates to:
- demographic and diagnostic information from laboratory test reports for patients tested for the suspected and confirmed causative agent for COVID-19, as recorded in the PHE Second Generation Surveillance System (SGSS)
- demographic, risk factor, treatment, and outcome information for patients admitted to hospital with a confirmed COVID-19 diagnosis, as recorded in the PHE COVID-19 Hospitalisations in England Surveillance System (CHESS).
The SGSS and CHESS data are to be collected for the purposes of direct care, service monitoring, planning and research in response to the spread of COVID-19, including for the following purposes identified in the COVID-19 Directions (see below):
- understanding information about patient access to health services and adult social care services as a direct or indirect result of COVID-19 and the availability and capacity of those services
- monitoring and managing the response to COVID-19 by health and social care bodies and the Government, including providing information to the public about COVID-19 and its effectiveness, and information about capacity, medicines, equipment, supplies, services and the workforce within the health services and adult social care services
- research and planning in relation to COVID-19, such as providing COVID-19 diagnosis.
This Notice is served on:
- Public Health England
Legal basis for provision of data
NHS Digital has been directed by the Secretary of State under section 254 of the Act to establish and operate a system for the collection and analysis of the information specified for this service.
Period of the collection
A historic and thereafter daily feed of SGSS and CHESS is to be collected:
- The SGSS data will be collected each day via the NHS Digital Message Exchange for Social Care and Health (MESH).
- The CHESS data will be collected once per day via MESH.
The collection of both SGSS and CHESS data will commence on or around 6 April 2020, as agreed with PHE, and will continue until the expiry of the COVID-19 Directions or earlier if NHS Digital issues a notice to cease the collection.
Version 1.1 of this Data Provision Notice was published on 20 October 2020, making changes to the SGSS component. As well as cosmetic changes, 2 items have been added to the Form of the collection:
- Test Identifier (e.g. barcode)
- Result of the Test (i.e. positive, negative, void).