We have detected that you are using Internet Explorer to visit this website. Internet Explorer is now being phased out by Microsoft. As a result, NHS Digital no longer supports any version of Internet Explorer for our web-based products, as it involves considerable extra effort and expense, which cannot be justified from public funds. Some features on this site will not work. You should use a modern browser such as Edge, Chrome, Firefox, or Safari. If you have difficulty installing or accessing a different browser, contact your IT support team.
Patient Level Information and Costing Systems (PLICS) Acute data collection
Data Provision Notice for the Patient Level Information and Costing Systems (PLICS) data collection required to be submitted by Acute Trusts.
Overview of the collection
The information gathered from this collection will be used to enable NHS England and NHS Improvement's Costing Transformation Programme to more effectively perform its pricing and licensing functions under the Health and Social Care Act 2012. It will:
- inform new methods of pricing NHS services
- inform new approaches and other changes to the design of the currencies used to price NHS services
- contribute to the NHS England and NHS Improvement strategic objective of a single national cost collection
- inform the relationship between provider characteristics and cost
- help trusts to maximise use of their resources and improve efficiencies, as required by the provider licence
- identify the relationship between patient characteristics and cost
- support an approach to benchmarking for regulatory purposes.
Scope of the collection
Acute Trusts as per Annex B of the Data Provision Notice are required to submit activity and financial data as per Annex A of the Mandatory Request.
Legal basis for provision of data
Under sections 255(1), and 256(2)(a) of the Act, NHS Digital has received a Mandatory Request from Monitor (now known as NHS England and NHS Improvement) to continue to establish and operate a system for the collection and analysis of PLICS data from Acute providers, as follows:
- Data collection - ability for Acute providers to submit PLICS data direct to NHS Digital.
- Potential to link PLICS data with Hospital Episode Statistics (HES) and other relevant activity and outcome data held by NHS Digital as agreed between NHS Digital and NHS Improvement.
- Data quality and validation.
- Data supply – the functionality to provide pseudonymised PLICS data to NHS Improvement for onward processing and analysis as agreed between NHS Digital and NHS Improvement.
This is a single annual collection exercise from each Trust listed at Annex B of this document in accordance with the Mandatory Request.
The data collection is scheduled to take place from 9am on 7 September 2020 to 5pm on 13 November 2020 inclusive. Data can only be submitted within this time period.