Community Services Data Set
The data set allows community service providers and commissioners to view local and national information from community services, to improve patient care.
Providers of publicly-funded community services are legally mandated to collect and submit community health data, as set out by the Health and Social Care Act 2012.
The Community Services Data Set (CSDS) expands the scope of the existing Children and Young People's Health Services Data Set (CYPHS) data set, by removing the 0-18 age restriction. The CSDS supersedes the CYPHS data set, to allow adult community data to be submitted.
The structure and content of the CSDS remains the same as the existing CYPHS data set. The Community Information Data Set (CIDS) is being retired, to remove the need for a separate local collection and reduce burden on providers.
The CSDS information standards notice SCCI1069 has been approved. The following technical and legal guidance will help care providers and system suppliers to update their systems, to meet the October 2017 deadline to start collecting CSDS data locally.
Organisational assessment and planning tools
- IG fair processing guidance
- Implementation planning template
- Readiness assessment tool
- System conformance checklist
XML Extract Schemas
The xml schemas describe the structure of the exports and can be used to assist in development of in-house analytical and checking tools. You can download the XML Extract Schemas from the TRUD website here. In order to access the schemas, you will be required to register with the website and subscribe to each extract. You will be notified each time there is an update and you can further manage your subscriptions from your TRUD account.
Data and activities covered
The CSDS is an extraction of data about children and adults in these categories:
- personal and demographic
- social and personal circumstances
- breastfeeding and nutrition
- care event and screening activity
- diagnoses, including long-term conditions and disabilities
- scored assessments
The health care activities included are those carried out by:
- all existing CYPHS data set submitters
- existing providers that collect CIDS data locally
- any new community service providers
These activities could take place in settings such as health centres, Sure Start centres, day care facilities, schools or community centres, mobile facilities or a patient's own home.
Types of providers who need to submit data
Providers could be from foundation or non-foundation trusts, this includes:
- acute trusts
- mental health trusts
- community healthcare trusts
- care trusts
- social enterprises
- integrated care organisations
- any qualified providers
- independent sector providers (including third sector)
- local authorities
How to submit CSDS data
Submissions will take place monthly.
For each reporting period, data providers should complete their XML schema file with data collected from their own local systems, and use the Bureau Service Portal (BSP) to submit CSDS data.
Existing CYPHS data set submitters will continue to submit data using the portal.
New CSDS submitters will need to register.
The submission window for each data set will be monthly, and will be open for a primary (P) submission and a refresh (R) for the previous month.
For example, in November, any data recorded in October must be submitted. This is the October primary submission. In December, any data that was recorded in November must be submitted. This is the November primary submission. There will then be another chance to submit the November data (November refresh).
The CSDS Technical Guidance provides further details about how to submit data via the Bureau Service Portal (BSP)
CYPHS data set submissions can continue to be made before the launch of the community services data set, as shown on the CYPHS schedule.
When to submit CSDS data
Providers must submit data monthly, from these dates:
- From 1 October 2017, systems used by community services must fully conform to the SCCI1069 CSDS standard.
- From 1 October 2017, providers must start collecting CSDS information locally.
- From November 2017, providers must begin to submit CSDS submissions in accordance with the SCCI1069 CSDS standard.
A detailed timetable for submissions is shown below:
- October 2017 Primary (P): 13/11/2017 to 05/12/2017 at 23:59:59
- October 2017 Refresh (R) November 2017 Primary (P): 13/12/2017 to 05/01/2018 at 23:59:59
- November 2017 Refresh (R) December 2017 Primary (P): 13/01/2018 to 05/02/2018 at 23:59:59
- December 2017 Refresh (R) January 2018 Primary (P): 13/02/2018 to 05/03/2018 at 23:59:59
- January 2018 Refresh (R) February 2018 Primary (P): 13/03/2018 to 05/04/2018 at 23:59:59