Maternity and Children's Data Set
Maternity and Children's Data Set
The Maternity and Children's Data Sets project (MCDS) which incorporates the Maternity Services Data Set (MSDS), Children and Young People's Health Services Data Set (CYPHS) and the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services Data Set (CAMHS), has been developed to help achieve better outcomes of care for mothers, babies and children. These data sets will provide comparative, mother and child-centric data that will be used to improve clinical quality and service efficiency; and to commission services in a way that improves health and reduces inequalities. As 'secondary uses' data sets, they re-use clinical and operational data for purposes other than direct patient care.
What will the data set achieve?
Information from the data set will be made widely available to commissioners, providers, clinicians and service users and will be used to:
- record, compare and improve outcomes and safety
- improve clinical quality and service efficiency
- commission services in a way that improves health and reduces inequalities
- improve accountability by providing comparative information to service users
- provide activity data on which to base mandatory tariffs for Payment by Results
- support regulation
- increase the understanding and dissemination of best practice
- underpin improvement of local information systems to meet data set standards
The Maternity and Children's Data Set incorporates the following individual information standards:
- Maternity Services Data Set (MSDS)
- Children and Young People's Health Services (CYPHS) data set
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) data set
We developed and tested these standards, working with the NHS and sponsored by the Department of Health.
The standards have received full approval from the Information Standards Board (ISB) (external) (Opens in a new window) as information standards for the NHS in England. The standards represent 'output specifications' that define how data should be submitted by NHS commissioned or provided services to a central data warehouse. NHS services will have the flexibility to adopt any local data collection process and employ whichever IT system that is capable of extracting data in accordance with the output specification.
Work on the Maternity and Children's Data Set began with the policy driver of the National Service Framework (NSF) for Children, Young People and Maternity Services in 2004 and remains aligned to the policy direction set out in:
- Maternity July 2016 Information Update [414kb]
- iView Plus Maternity Information [466kb]
- iView Plus Quick start Guide [395kb]
- CYPHS July 2016 Information Update [489kb]
- Maternity June 2016 Information Update [415kb]
- Maternity May 2016 Information Update [441kb]
- CYPHS May 2016 Information Update [317kb]
- Maternity April 2016 Information Update [436kb]
- CYPHS April 2016 Information Update [369kb]
- Maternity March 2016 Information Update [433kb]
- CYPHS March 2016 Information Update [361kb]
- Maternity February 2016 information update [419kb]
- CYPHS February 2016 information update [319kb]
- MCDS December 2015 Information Update [170kb]
- MCDS September 2015 Information Update [176kb]
- MCDS August 2015 Information Update [172kb]
MSDS Stakeholder User Group
CYPHS Stakeholder User Group
- For regular updates to your desktop, email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading "Maternity and Childrens data set bulletin" or call 0300 303 5678.