Skip Navigation

Dental Working Hours, 2014/15 and 2015/16

Publication date: 09:30 September 14, 2016

Summary

Dental Working Hours, 2014/15 and 2015/16 provides information on the dental working patterns of self-employed primary care dentists who provided some NHS/Health Service treatment in England & Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland during one or both of these financial years. Time-series comparisons are also provided from 2006/07 for England & Wales and from 2008/09 for Northern Ireland and Scotland.

The report has been produced by NHS Digital in consultation with the Dental Working Group which includes representatives from the UK Health Departments; NHS England; the British Dental Association; NHS Business Services Authority Information Services; and the National Association of Specialist Dental Accountants and Lawyers.

The report is released in multiple instalments; Initial Analysis, published on 14 September, contains high level results for England and Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland in time to be used by each country for their evidence submissions for the Review Body on Doctors' and Dentists' Remuneration (DDRB).
On 19 October 2016,�Additional Analysiswas released and Motivation Analysis was published on 8 December 2016.�


Key Facts

 

The main findings for 2015/16 are given below:

 

England & Wales

  • Overall, self-employed primary care dentists (full and part-time) reported working an average of 36.9 hours per week in dentistry
    • Providing-Performer dentists worked  an average of 41.4 hours per week
    • Performer Only dentists worked 36.0 hours weekly
    • Overall, 70.7 per cent of time was spent on NHS dental services with the remaining 29.3 per cent of time accounted for by private dentistry
  • Overall, dentists reported that their time spent on dentistry was split by 77.8 per cent on clinical work and 22.2 per cent on non-clinical work (including administrative and management duties)
    • Providing-Performer dentists reported spending 72.4 per cent of their time on clinical work compared to 79.2 per cent reported by Performer Only dentists

Northern Ireland

  • Overall, self-employed primary care dentists (full and part-time) reported working an average of 37.1 hours per week in dentistry
    • Principal Dentists an average of 42.7 hours per week
    • Associate Dentists worked 33.5 hours weekly
    • Overall, 72.4 percent of time was spent on Health Service dental services with the remaining 27.6 per cent accounted for by private dentistry
  • Overall, dentists reported that their time spent on dentistry was split by 77.3 per cent on clinical work and 22.7 per cent on non-clinical work (which include administrative and management duties)
    • Principal Dentists reported spending 70.3 per cent of their time on clinical work, compared to 83.0 per cent reported by Associate Dentists.

Scotland

  • Overall, self-employed primary care dentists (full and part-time) reported working an average of 38.0 hours per week in dentistry
    • Principal Dentists worked an average of 41.6 hours per week
    • Associate Dentists worked 36.0 hours weekly
    • Overall, 76.6 per cent of time was spent on NHS dentistry with the remaining 23.4 percent of time accounted for by private dentistry
  • Overall, dentists reported that their time spent on dentistry was split into 79.7 per cent on clinical work and 20.3 per cent on non-clinical work (which include administrative and management duties)
    • Principal Dentists reported spending 75.2 per cent of their time on clinical work compared to 82.7 per cent reported by Associate Dentists

Coverage

Date Range: 01 April 2014 to 31 March 2016
Geographical coverage: UK, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Scotland
Geographical granularity: Country, UK and Great Britain

Have a question? Call us on 0300 303 5678 or contact enquiries@nhsdigital.nhs.uk.

Tell us what you think of the new website beta.

We use cookies to provide you with a better service. Carry on browsing if you're happy with this, or find out how to manage cookies. Find out more