Routine Quarterly Mental Health Minimum Data Set (MHMDS) Reports - Provisional Q1 2011-2012, Summary statistics and related information
Publication date: 09:30 December 16, 2011
Mental Health Minimum Data Set (MHMDS) is a regular return of data generated by providers of adult secondary mental health services in the course of delivering services to patients. From Quarter 1 2011/12, the MHMDS will be processed using a new system. Full details of the methods used in processing can be found in the MHMDS Version 4 User Guidance and Appendices. Organisations that provide specialist mental health services currently make four quarterly MHMDS submissions.
It is planned with the change to support Payment by Results that trusts will submit on a monthly basis in the future.
The Quarter 1, April 2011 to June 2011, report is a Data Quality publication of the data that trusts have submitted. As such, it only covers two of the indicators in the NHS Performance Framework for Mental Health trusts.
For the first time, data from the Community Mental Health Activity collection is also being published.
This first release of experimental MHMDS Q1 provisional data, April 2011 to June 2011, shows:
- 60 providers were successful in submitting data via the new mechanism for the MHMDS. A small number of providers were unable to meet the Q1 submission deadline. In most cases this was due to local systems not being ready to support the new data format.
- There has been a large increase in the number of records compared to Q4 2010/2011, 50 per cent of providers had an increase of at least 20 per cent in their number of records. The reasons for this are being investigated as part of ongoing assurance of the new system, however there is some anecdotal evidence that the previous way of processing MHMDS, using the 'assembler' produced fewer records than expected, so this could be an improvement in data quality.
- Overall the Data Quality for key elements of the data set included in this release was very high with at 70 per cent of trusts achieving at least 80 per cent valid coding for each item.
These figures have been produced from an alpha release of the new system and are subject to change when the final Q1 release is published in the New Year.
The Community mental health activity reports show that in Q2, July 2011 to September 2011:
- The number of home treatment episodes year to date was 64,174
- The number of assessments by Crisis Resolution teams year to date was 127,105
- The number of patients receiving Home Treatment year to date was 54,703
- The number of patients being treated by Early Intervention teams in quarter 2 was 21,650
- The number of people receiving Assertive Outreach services in quarter 2 was 20,233
|Date Range:||01 April 2011 to 30 June 2011|